Friday 14 March 2014

Daring Cooks March 2014: Protein Power Goddess Bowl with Avocado Green Goddess Dressing

For March’s Daring Cooks’ Challenge, Ruth, Shelley and Sawsan asked us to totally veg out! We made salads and dressings, letting the sky be the limit as we created new flavors and combinations that reflect our own unique tastes.

I made a standard dressing all the time, some combination of oil, vinegar and mustard. I've been doing this for what seems like forever! My Mum did and so now I do, I couldn't eat an undressed salad. So for this I thought I'd think creatively. I made a dressing I've never attempted before and I'm not sure it worked or not. I went for Green Goddess Dressing, but as you can see from the picture below it looks more like a dip and indeed the texture is more dip like than dressing!















But I didn't want to serve it over green salad so that's ok. Instead I served it over a Protein Power Goddess Bowl! What a name! So instead of using the dressing suggested, I thought I'd up the green goddess bit and serve it with this dressing. It was awesome! I self like I'd eaten a huge portion of veg and therefore was doing something good for my body!

Avocado Green Goddess Dressing (from The Lemon Bowl)
(Serves 8)

1 avocado
Juice 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, torn roughly
salt and pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add water to thin if needed.
Serve over green salad or use as a dip for veggies.
Protein Power Goddess Bowl (from Oh She Glows)
(Serves 4)
200g green lentils
200g pearl barley
1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
200g kale, roughly chopped
1/2 recipe of Green Goddess Dressing
salt and pepper

Cook lentils and barley according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.

Make the green goddess dressing (recipe above)

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for a few mins.  Add in the red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7-8 mins.

Stir in the kale and sauté for another few mins, just until tender.

Remove from heat and stir in the green goddess dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment