Thursday 29 November 2012

Apple and Sultana Cake

In my second foray into baking to use up my leftover flour I made cake! As I looked through my cupboards trying to find things to put in the cake that didn't mean leaving the house, I found a bag of sultanas and a cooking apple. I was really looking for a traybake recipe and that's what the original recipe is, but I didn't have enough eggs or a tin suitable for a traybake so I halved the recipe and went for Apple and Sultana Cake.

I also ended up not doing my book group that day, so I put the cake in the Staff Room at work where it was devoured by hungry teachers! It was all gone by break time and I got some lovely comments about it.
















Apple and Sultana Cake (adapted from Jam and Clotted Cream)
(Serves 8-12)

112g butter, softened
140g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
handful of sultanas
1 medium bramley apple, peeled and sliced thinly

Preheat oven to 180C.

Cream the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs and vanilla and sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in until smooth. Add the sultanas and pour half the mixture into a lined baking tin.

Scatter the sliced apple on top and then cover with the remaining batter.

Bake for about 50 minutes or until golden

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I know it's been a little while since you've posted this but it looks fantastic and I was wondering if you’d like to enter this recipe into our Gourmandize Giveaway recipe competition. This month the theme is apples so it would be perfect, and there are nice prizes to win – let me know what you think:

    http://www.gourmandize.co.uk/article-1-recipe-competition-for-the-best-apple-recipe.htm

    Regards,

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete