Friday 8 August 2014

Jamie's 15 Minute Meals: Crab Bolognaise

This was one of those Jamie meals that I've been anticipating for quite a while, ever since I saw it on the TV programmes. But crab is not really an everyday meal, it's rather expensive for that. Despite that this is lovely and tasty. I think I've used more anchovies in the last few weeks cooking out this book than ever before, but they do give dishes a lots of easy flavour.



Crab Bolognaise (from Jamie's 15 Minute Meals)
(Serves 4)

1/2-1 red chilli
1 carrot
2 spring onions
2 garlic cloves
1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
2 anchovy fillets
1/2 bunch fresh basil
oil
320g dried spaghetti
1 lemon
300g crabmeat, brown and white
white wine
700g passata

Halve the chilli, carrots and spring onions and put them in a food processor with the garlic, fennel seeds, anchovies and basil stalks. Blitz until finely chopped. Tip into a casserole pan with 1 tbsp oil, stirring often.

Finely grate the lemon zest over the veg. Add the brown crabmea, a splash of white wine and the passata, then stir, cover and leave to simmer for about 5 mins.

Roughly chop the basil leaves and sprinkle most into the sauce with the white crabmeat, the squeeze in the juice of the lemon. Loosen the sauce with the pasta water if needed, the drain the spaghetti and top into a large bowl. Spoon the sauce over the top and serve scattered with the reserved basil.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this one, but I'm having trouble finding a mix of brown and white crab meat. I can get tinned crab, or I can get fresh crab meat in a container at the fish counter but it's ridiculously expensive (and all white). What to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem, my mum found the mixture in waitrose by the smoked salmon etc, I think it was pretty expensive though, she got me a small tub and that made enough for three me sized portions

      Delete
    2. Nicola! That is almost exactly what I did - popped into Waitrose (Raynes Park) & found a small pot of 50/50 crab plus another pot of just white crabmeat in the reduced section! They are now in the freezer until I'm brave enough to attempt this recipe (and have managed to buy all the rest of the ingredients!) :P

      Delete
    3. I make this recipe regularly with a can of tuna in olive oil instead of crab. It's amazing and so much cheaper!!

      Delete