Friday 20 September 2013

Pear and Ginger Chutney

As well as making pickles, I also made chutney for the first time over the summer. This came about as I had a huge amount of pears floating around and wanted to do something productive with them! I also made pear and ginger jam but that was a complete flop as when it cooled and I came to eat it, it had set so solid I couldn't actually get it out the jar! Epic fail, but I shall try again. The chutney on the other hand worked! Hurrah! It was lovely and sweet and sour, just as chutney should be. I finished a jar last night on a brie and bacon toastie. really tasty!




















Pear and Ginger Chutney (from National Trust Edible Gifts)

1.35kg pears, peeled, cored and chopped
225g onions chopped
225g raisins chopped
50g stem ginger finely chopped
350g demerara sugar
400ml white wine vinegar
2 oranges, grated rind and juice
15g dried root ginger
15g whole cloves

Put the the pears, onions and raisins in a large pan with the other ingredients except the root ginger and cloves. Tie these in a muslin square and add to pan. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar.

Simmer for one and a half to two hours until thick, stirring occasionally. Pour into prepared jars, cover, and store for one month before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment