Monday 9 September 2013

Meal Planning Monday

My Mum has been staying for the weekend and on Saturday morning we got up bright and early and went to Borough Market. We came home with lots of goodies including three different sorts of bread, lots of dips, some Croatian chorizo, some skate, squid, samphire and smoked mackerel from a lovely man who fishes off the coast of Suffolk, and a delicious selection of mushrooms. It has been in my head for years to buy an exotic selection of mushrooms cook them simply with pasta and devour and last night we finally did it. It was delicious. The mushroom you can see on top is a cepe or porcini mushroom and it was definitely the star of the show with an amazing melt in your mouth texture.

















In the afternoon we went to the In Fine Style exhibition at the Queen's Gallery, which  was fascinating, it really made you look at the details of the dress in the paintings in a way I never have before. For dinner I cooked the skate,Having never cooked skate before I asked the  man on the stall the best way of cooking it he suggested, pan frying it for a few mins on each side until golden and then chuck over some capers and a squeeze of lemon. So that's what I did! I served it with potatoes en papillote, green and runner beans and samphire.
















Sunday, we spent the morning shopping and for lunch I made a squid salad from the River Cottage Fish book. The squid was marinated in a simple mixture of oil, lemon zest, chilli and garlic and then cooked on the griddle. It was delicious, really soft and tender.
















In the afternoon I made about a million gingerbread people and 12 cupcakes for my book group to decorate on Tuesday. Busy but awesome weekend!

This week is busy at work also with two sets of inductions to do to two different year groups. I'm also going to a talk about Audrey Hepburn at the V&A on Tuesday night and tonight sees my first pilates session to help with my back. So simple meals this week and I'm still trying to think of something to cook for my father on Saturday lunchtime!


 


Tuesday
Chorizo and Cheese Sandwich with Crisps

Wednesday
Courgette, Tomato and Corn Rice Salad
Herring with Gooseberry Sauce, New Potatoes and Veg (Leiths Fish Bible)

Thursday
Tuna and Garlic Mayo Wrap with Crisps

Friday
Steak and Chips with Roasted Veg

Saturday
Sorrel Omelette with Salad

Sunday
Sweet Potato Burgers (Waitrose Magazine)

1 comment:

  1. Wow that food looks amazing!!
    Your meal plan sounds fab!! Liking the sound of the Sri Lankan Runner Bean Curry with Rice :) x

    ReplyDelete