Tuesday 2 September 2014

Snail and Bacon Quiche

When I was in Picardie in April, we visited a snail farm and I bought some proper French snails. They've been sat in my shelf ever since and I finally got around to using them. When I was there I had a chat with the lady who ran the snail farm and she said to make a quiche out of the snails, adding bacon and cheese, so I followed what I could remember of her instructions, it was delicious, I gave one to my neighbour and she enjoyed it too.



Snail and Bacon Quiche
(Makes 1 20cm quiche)

110g plain flour
25g lard
25g butter
pinch salt
cold water
4 rashers bacon, cooked
10 snails, chopped
75g cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
275ml milk
salt and pepper

Add flour and butter to a mixing bowl, using a knife cut the butter into the flour. Then using your fingertips rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the salt and water, then quickly knead the dough, just until it comes together. Pop in the fridge for an hour to chill.

Heat the oven to 180C.

Roll out the pastry and line a 20cm tin with it. Prick the base with a fork, line with greaseproof paper and put baking beans on top. Bake the pastry case for 15 mins then remove from the oven and pain with a little beaten egg, and pop back into the oven for 5 more mins.

Meanwhile, beat together the egg and milk and mix in 2/3rds of the cheese and the salt and pepper.

Take the pastry case out of the oven and scatter the bacon and snails in the base. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the bacon and snails. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and put back into the oven for 30-40 mins until the quiche is set in the centre and has turned golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment