Thursday 5 June 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Cake

Oh my god this cake is so good! It is also a super exploding over the sides of my dish cake as you can see from the picture at the bottom! Totally my fault, I used a way too small pan. This recipe comes from my friend Laurel's blog Shugga P's Gluten Free Goodness, which you should really check out, she has some awesome recipes on there. I served this with vanilla ice cream and you really have to try this cake it is so delicious! I'm not sure how many people the recipe serves but I made half the recipe and myself and my neighbour had about 5-6 portions between us! Not all in one sitting I promise, although I so could have!
















Strawberry Rhubarb Cake (from Shugga P's Gluten Free Goodness)

375g self raising flour
225g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
225g butter
250ml buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

For the filling
600g rhubarb, sliced
450g strawberries
2 tsp lemon juice
225g sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch

For the topping
150g demerara sugar
63g plain flour
113g butter

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the lemon juice. Cook the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar together, then add the lemon juice and cornstarch. Cook until the mixture has thickened. Allow to cool whilst making the cake.

Stir together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl beat the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla then add them to the dry ingredients.

Spread 3/4 of the batter in a 23 x 33cm pan. Spread all of filling over the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter on top of the filling in small mounds. Mix the topping and sprinkle it on top. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment