Saturday 30 November 2013

Homestyle Chicken and Noodles

I have always been fascinated by American homestyle cooking and comfort food. Casseroles made with condensed soups and creamy bakes oozing comfort. I have seen many different versions of chicken and noodles but this was the simplest recipe I came across. It was delicious, so creamy and wholesome. I will definitely be making this again.

I had to make a couple of substitutions, I used leek intead of celery as I don't like celery and I used tagliatelle for the noodles as I have no idea what Americans mean by noodles really, to me that means oriental, but that's not what's in the picture and pasta was the closest I came!
















Homestyle Chicken and Noodles (from Iowa Girl Eats)
(Serves 4-6)

2 chicken legs and 2 chicken wings, skins removed or 3 chicken legs
750ml water
500ml chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, sliced
340g tagliatelle
150g frozen peas
250g skim milk
2 tbsp flour

Put chicken in the bottom of a large casserole. Add the water, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, onion, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil then place a lid on top, lower heat, and simmer for 30 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from pot then shred and set aside.

Meanwhile, add the tagliatelle to the casserole and cook according to packet instructions. Once tender, stir in the peas.

Put the milk and flour in a jar with a screw-top lid, then shake to combine. Drizzle into the casserole then stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 mins or until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Add chicken back to the pot then taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Let chicken and noodles sit for 10 mins to thicken before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment