Saturday 16 November 2013

Caramel Apple Crumble

So, this was a bit of a disaster. It didn't work out all like I planned but then I kinda followed the idea of the recipe rather than the recipe itself. I have posted almost the original recipe below, I've added in some cooking apples and made a large one rather than individual ones.

However, when I made it, I used some salted caramel that I had made instead of the tinned stuff but this didn't really work and I ended up with lots of water in the base of the dish, you also couldn't really taste the salted bit, just sweet. For some reason my apples didn't cook properly or mush down either. So I think next time I'll stick to the recipe!
















Caramel Apple Crumble (from Good Food Magazine March 2009)
(Serves 4)

2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cubed
4 eating apples, peeled, cored and cubed
6 tbsp Carnation caramel cream (this comes in a can or a squeezy tube)
50g plain flour
50g porridge oats
50g cold butter, diced
 
Heat oven to 200C. Put the apples into a saucepan with a splash of water, cover, then cook over a high heat for 4-5 mins, stirring now and then until just soft. Stir in 3 tbsp of the caramel, then tip into an ovenproof dishes. Dot small spoonfuls of caramel cream over the apples until only 1 tbsp is left.

Mix the flour and oats together, then rub in the butter with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the remaining caramel, then scatter over the apples. Bake for 30-40 mins until golden and crisp on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment