Saturday 16 January 2016

Energy Bars

One of my friends gave me this recipe, she makes a batch a week for her and her husband. So I thought I'd try them and they are delicious. I actually used a 3 nut butter rather than peanut and I added chopped walnuts and pecans for my nuts and figs and raisins for the dried fruit and they are delicious. Definitely a keeper.
















Energy Bars (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)
(Makes 12-16)

100g honey
250g nut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
127g whole wheat flour
80g oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
120ml milk
90g chopped mixed nuts
70g dried fruit, chopped if big
1 tbsp stem ginger, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 20cm x 20cm baking dish with greaseproof paper.

Using an electric mixer, beat the honey and peanut butter together until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Turn the mixer down to medium and add in the flour, oats, baking powder, bicarb and salt. The dough will be very thick and clumpy, but it will come together.

Slowly add the milk, mixing until a dough forms. Fold in the nuts, dried fruit and ginger until evenly distributed.

Press the dough lightly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for about 25-30 mins until the bars are lightly golden and set. Allow to cool completely and cut into squares. They will keep for about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment