Monday 16 December 2013

Smoked Mackerel and Leek Bake

I've now made this twice, once with mackerel and once with peppered herring. Both times it was delicious! Although the second time I made it I managed to burn the top slightly. The first time I made it, I pre-cooked all the pasta and fish and sauce, combined it all, left it in the fridge and then sprinkled over the breadcrumbs and stuck it in the oven for 30 mins to cook and heat through and that worked perfectly too.


















Smoked Mackerel and Leek Bake (from Good Food Magazine November 2009)
(Serves 2)

2 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
knob of butter
150g penne
200ml pot reduced-fat crème fraîche
1 tbsp capers
2 smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flesh flaked into large chunks
25g breadcrumbs
 
Preheat the grill.
 
Fry the leeks in the butter until very soft, about 10-15 mins.
 
Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions. 
 
When the leeks are soft, stir in the crème fraîche, capers and fish. Heat through for 1 min.
 
Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce, season to taste, then tip everything into a small baking dish.
 
Scatter with the breadcrumbs and grill until golden and crisp.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been fond of smoked fish. I am not sure why. It just does not appeal to me. However I miss salt cod, which is something we used to make fish cakes with back home in Nova Scotia. I suppose it is a cultural thing! xx

    ReplyDelete