Sunday 27 October 2013

Scallops with Chinese Sausage and Peas

This was really lovely and different. I am always on the lookout for new things to do with Chinese sausage and the combination of  seafood and sausage is not one I've tried before but it really works. I recently found a recipe for smoked mackerel and sausage salad which I was a bit dubious about but I think I'll give it a go.

I had a bit of a disaster with the rice to go with this dish and it was ready before I realised the rice hadn't cooked so I just ate it on its own and I didn't really miss the rice at all.






















Scallops with Chinese Sausage and Peas (from The Guardian)
(Serves 4)

8 Chinese pork sausages, cooked and sliced thinly on an angle
1 tbsp sunflower oil
16 scallops
20g ginger, peeled, thinly sliced and cut into julienne
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
50g spring onion, sliced thinly on an angle
100g peas (defrosted, if using frozen)
100g beans, cut into inch lengths
2 tbsp saki
1½ tsp rice vinegar
salt and pepper
15g coriander leaves, chopped

Put a large, heavy frying pan on high heat, then sear the sausage in its own fat for two to four mins, until slightly crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the butter and oil to the pan and add the scallops, flat side down. Leave to sear on one side undisturbed for two mins, occasionally basting them in the hot oil, then gently toss a few times. With a slotted spoon, transfer them somewhere warm.

To the hot cooking juices in the pan, add the ginger, garlic, spring onion, peas and beans, cook for a min on medium to high heat, pour in the saki and leave to sizzle and reduce by half. Stir in the vinegar, scallops, sausage and a little salt, cook for another min, remove from the heat and fold through the coriander. Sprinkle with pepper and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment