Wednesday 12 December 2012

Sticky Glazed Gammon

I seem to be eating lots of foods I thought I didn't like in the last couple of weeks. Gammon being one of them. I bought Gammon steaks to use in the Daring Cooks Brazilian meal a couple of months ago and they were only sold in packs of two which left me with one over. My over riding memory of gammon is this incredibly salty meat that was served with a pineapple ring for school lunch, I hate pineapple which I guess didn't help.

This was different, the nice glaze made it sweeter and cut through the saltiness of the meat. As you can see mine didn't really work out like  a glaze, so I boiled it up a bit and used it as a sauce instead. Served over the bulgar it was a delicious and filling meal.
















Sticky Glazed Gammon (from Good Food Magazine August 2002)
(Serves 2)

85g bulgar wheat
85g frozen peas                           
1 large leek, thinly sliced
1 orange, halved
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 lean gammon steaks
1 tbsp mint, chopped

Preheat the grill to high.  Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the bulgar according to packet instructions. Toss in the peas and leek and bubble for the last 3-5 mins of cooking, cook until soft.

Meanwhile, while the bulgar cooks, make the glaze and cook the gammon. Squeeze the juice of one orange half into a pan, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, honey and mustard and simmer for 2 minutes until sticky. Season the steaks with pepper only, put them on the rack and grill for 5-6 minutes each side, brushing frequently with the glaze.

When the bulgar is done, drain, season well with salt and pepper and fork in the mint. Serve with a gammon steak on top.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, but fresh pineapple is great when grilled. The smoky flavor from the grill offsets the sweetness of the pineapple. I often grill pineapple slices to go wit turkey burgers.

    ReplyDelete