Thursday 27 December 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sage

I've had a lovely Christmas this year, we were joined by my sister, her husband and my two nieces, Arabella whose 4 and Lucy whose almost 6 months, this added so much enjoyment to my Christmas. Arabella and I tracked Father Christmas on Christmas Eve and watched the little videos as he flew past various historic sights. I also helped pack her Father Christmas presents and went to see her when she woke up in the morning and he'd been! The excitement on her face was wonderful to see and reminded me of all the excitement when I was little and Father Christmas had been! It was fantastic to have them with us for Lucy's first Christmas too, especially when the paper is more exciting than the presents themselves! Everyone is now on their way back home and I too am off back to London later today.

As what we eat on Christmas Day and Boxing Day doesn't vary much year on year, I thought I'd show you the side dish I made for both Boxing Day and Christmas Day. Most of us are not fans of sprouts, I won't eat them just boiled, they have that weird over cooked cabbage flavour which is quite frankly yuck! But I have discovered that if I add a bit of bacon or pancetta to them, a lot of butter and fry them for a bit they taste much better. I also added sage this year which tied in which the sage stuffing in the goose. There was not a sprout left in the house after boxing day!
















Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sage (adapted from A Blanc Christmas - Raymond Blanc)
(Serves 4)

500g Brussels sprouts, bases and old leaves removed
salt and pepper
100g bacon or pancetta lardons
20g butter
1 tbsp chopped sage

Cook the Brussels sprouts in boiling water for 5-6 mins. While they are cooking pan fry the bacon in a large frying pan.

Drain the sprouts then add them to the bacon pan followed by the butter, melt to give the brussels a shine, then toss in the sage. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment