Sunday 28 December 2008

Boxing Day Meal

Christmas been really good this year and it was lovely to have my older sister, her husband James and my niece Arabella with us. The food was fantastic, the goose was delicious on Christmas Day and we had venison for lunch yesterday which was also really good. We are off up North for New Year, where I'm hoping to make bread and more Canapes for guests who are coming over. It should be very peaceful and relaxing.

We were all fed up of cooking and washing up after the big meal on Christmas Day, and were also still full from all the food, so we had a very simple supper on Boxing Day. My Mother went to the A Taste of Christmas cookery demonstration done by Teresa Bovey, with a friend a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed, whilst there she tried a Celeriac and Apple Soup which I decided to make for Boxing Day. I also made a basic white loaf to go with the soup.



Celeriac and Apple Soup (from Teresa Bovey Cookery Demonstration)

1 onion, chopped
a knob of butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 celeriac (approx. 750g), diced
1 small cooking apple, diced
1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock (I used Knorr Stockpot)
3-4 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley (I didn't have any so left it out)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the onion, butter and oil in a saucepan and fry gently for 3-4 mins

Add the diced celeriac and apple and fry for a further 3-4 mins

Pour over the hot stock, cover pan and simmer for 15-20 mins

Stir in the double cream, chopped parsley and season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment