Saturday 10 July 2010

Broad Bean, Asparagus and Sorrel Risotto

Things are starting to ripen in the garden. I suddenly have more courgettes than I can handle, the broad beans are ready as is the sorrel and strawberries. I had strawberries and ice cream for lunch today and it was so good. Veg and fruit grown in the garden always tastes much better than shop bought. I used the broad beans and sorrel to make risotto earlier on this week. The inspiration for this came from a recipe for sorrel and asparagus risotto in a cook book I looked through in Fortnum and Masons but didn't buy, so I made the recipe up as I went along.



I served it with lamb cutlets and a tomato, onion and tarragon salad.

Broad Bean, Sorrel and Asparagus Risotto
(Serves 4)

2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch fresh sorrel leaves
400g podded broad beans
250g bunch asparagus
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
350g risotto rice
750ml hot vegetable stock
100ml white wine
handful grated Parmesan plus shavings, to serve

Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan and fry the onion for 2 mins until starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another min.

Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Add the broad beans and rice to the pan, then stir well. Pour in the stock and wine and bring to the boil.

Season to taste, cover and bake for 20 mins, then add in the sorrel and asparagus and bake for 5 mins longer or until the rice is just cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the grated Parmesan, check the seasoning and sprinkle with extra Parmesan shavings to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment