Tuesday 14 April 2015

Ham and Pea Soup

This isn't really a recipe more a something that I made. On Easter Monday I went to RHS Garden Wisley, which is a beautiful garden west of London.


We stopped for lunch in their cafe and I had the ham hock, which was huge! Looking at it there was no way I could eat it all, so we asked for something to take the remainder home in and they provided us with a plastic box and bag. 


                                                                                 




















Once home I set about making ham and pea soup.

First I added the leftover ham and bones to a large saucepan with 1 onion, sliced and 1 potato, chopped. Then I covered the whole thing with water until it was level with the bones. Then I brought it up to a boil and turned the heat down to medium and cooked it for about 30 mins until the veg was soft. Then I took it off the heat and left it for a little while to cool and removed the bones. Then I put it into the fridge overnight to solidify and then I skimmed the fat off the top. I put the ham stock mixture back into a saucepan and heated it,  I added about 100g peas and cooked them for about 5 mins. Then I whizzed the whole thing with a hand blender and made a lovely soup. It served 2 people and was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment