Saturday 22 May 2010

Cheesy Swiss Bake

I made one of my ultimate comfort food last week; Cheesy Swiss Bake. I found this recipe in Good Food magazine ages ago and every so often when I have raclette cheese in I'll make it. I have had a packet sat in my fridge since December and amazingly it didn't have a spot of mould on it, and it tasted just fine, so that's what I made. It isn't very good if you're calorie counting but it does taste fantastic. I also added leeks to the dish and they always work well in any gratin type recipes. I also love the hint of spice that the paprika gives to this dish.


I served it with a rocket and cherry tomato salad with balsamic vinegar and oil.



Cheesy Swiss Bake (adapted from Good Food Magazine January 2006)
(Serves 4)

1kg floury potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
knob of butter
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
200g smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
125ml dry white wine
142ml pot double cream
350g raclette cheese, grated
½ tsp smoked paprika

Heat oven to 200C. In a large pan, boil the potatoes for 5 mins, then drain and tip into a large mixing bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the onion until soft. Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 mins. Mix the bacon and onion with the potatoes in the bowl.

Stir in the wine, cream, most of the cheese and a little paprika. Season and mix together, then spread over a large (30cm long x 4cm deep) buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, cover with foil and cook for 25 mins. Remove the foil, sprinkle a little more paprika over the top and cook for a further 20 mins until the cheese is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment