Wednesday 23 September 2009

Mustard Pork Loin Steak

I have spent today cleaning up my flat, although its not a very big flat and I'm the only person living here, its amazing how quickly it gets filthy, and I know that in a couple of weeks I'll have to do it all over again! I have also done some useful prep work, like blanching green beans and preparing lunch for tomorrow. But I have something nice to look forward to tonight, my sister had moved into a new flat and is having house warming drinks this evening, so I get to dress up a bit and meet lots of new people, which is scary but fun at the same time.

Whilst doing the ironing, I watched Jamie's American Road Trip on 4OD. I haven't watched any of the series on TV, so I watched the first four today. It might just be because I watched them all together, but his incessant use of the word "brother" really started to grate and it seemed like he's used the trip as a really good excuse to go out, get drunk and do a little cooking. That said, I actually really enjoyed watching them, they are fun to watch, but with a serious element to each of them, and some of the food he tastes and makes looks fantastic. I am fascinated with the US , so its a really good insight into variety of the cultures and food available, which you don't get to see as a tourist. I'm hoping to return to the States for a week or so next year.

I also love trying out new recipes, this is inspired by the mustard pork chops recipe in Nigella Express, with a few adaptations of my own, as I didn't have all of the ingredients. It was really tasty, although I left the cream sauce on the hob a little too long, waiting for the gnocchi to cook, so it was a bit thicker than I would have liked.



Mustard Pork Loin Steaks (adapted from Nigella Express)
(Serves 2)

2 pork loin steaks
2 tsp oil
Glug of calvados
1 tbsp grainy mustard
75 ml double cream

Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and cook the steaks over a moderately high heat for about 5 mins a side. Remove to a warmed plate.

Pour the calvados into the pan, still over the heat, to deglaze the pan. Let it bubble away for a minute or so, then add the mustard and stir in the cream.

Let the sauce continue cooking for a few mins before pouring over each plated chop.

No comments:

Post a Comment