Saturday 24 January 2009

Lentilles-Saucisses a L'Ancienne

I decided after the week I had had, that I would treat myself yesterday evening. So on my way home from work I popped into Marks and Spencer and bought a bag of hand cooked crisps, some tzatziki and two lemon souffle. For the main course I had chosen something lovely and warming, Lentilles-Saucisses a L'Ancienne or Toulouse Sausage and Lentil Casserole. I had a bottle of Rioja already waiting for me at home.
The sausage and lentils were a delicious combination. I buy my Toulouse Sausages from The Ginger Pig at Borough Market, and they are really meaty, you can see the chunks of pork in them, as well as having the perfect amount of garlic and fat and with the tomatoes and lentils this was just what I needed.



Toulouse Sausage and Lentil Casserole

400g can green lentils
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato puree
200 ml red wine
400 ml water, approximately
6 Toulouse or other favourite sausages, weighing about 750 g in total
large bunch of flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oven to 200°C
Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish, add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
Add the thyme leaves (stripped from the stalks), bay leaf, tomatoes and puree, mix together and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat, add the lentils and red wine, stir well, then pour in enough water to cover. Place the sausages on top, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
Stir in the parsley just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment