Thursday 30 June 2016

Foodie Reads 2016: Afghan Nachos from Return to the Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez

I really enjoyed reading the  Little Coffee Shop of Kabul and thought I would give the second one a go. Whilst it is not as good as the first it is pretty decent.





















This one sees the action split between Kabul and an Island off Seattle, but this doesn't detract from the story as there are lots of connections made between the two throughout the book. I really enjoyed this book and I now have The House of Carnival Street by the same author to read.

There are a few recipes at the end of the book and one in particular caught my eye - Afghan Nachos, not least because I had all the ingredients in the house already. I added cucumber in to the original recipe as I had some and I knew it would go well. This is a really delicious alternative to normal nachos.























Afghan Nachos
(from Return to the Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez)
(Serves 6)

2 tbsp oil
6 spring onions, chopped
1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
170g Greek yoghurt
1 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, chopped
bunch mint, chopped
4 pitta bread

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the spring onions, fry for 2 mins. Add the chickpeas, cumin and paprika to the pan and cook for 5 mins stirring frequently.

In a small bowl, mix together the yoghurt, salt, garlic and mint.

Toast the pitta bread until crispy, then cut into large pieces.

Assemble but putting the pitta in a bowl, top with the chickpeas and then the yoghurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment