Tuesday 16 June 2009

Sausages with Sauerkraut

The area of London which I have now moved to has a large Eastern European population which means that getting hold of ingredients for this sort of cuisine is really easy. I had a large jar of Sauerkraut which had been lurking in the back of my fridge for ages and really needed using. I love eating sauerkraut with bratwurst, but I found this sausages with sauerkraut recipe in Nigella Express and wanted to try it.



Its the first time that I have tried these sort of smoked sausages before, and they were really tasty, the packet said that I could eat them hot or cold, which is really good for salads and packed lunches. The recipe was really simple just bung everything in the oven and wait! I served it with Pierogis that I bought ready made in the supermarket, and a dollop of creme fraiche, but I found the pierogis disappointing, maybe potato in pasta is just too much carb for me. Nigella recommends steamed potatoes so maybe I'll try that with them next time.

Sausages with Sauerkraut (from Nigella Express)
(Serves 6)

1 large jar of Sauekraut, rinsed in cold water and drained
2 tsp juniper berries
3 dried bay leaves
8 smoked sausages, cut into smaller lengths if wished
1 x 75cl bottle Riesling wine
1 tsp white pepper corns

Preheat the oven to 200C. Cover the bottom of a small to medium roasting tin with the drained sauerkraut.

Add the juniper berries, bay leaves and sausages.

Pour in the wine and sprinkle the peppercorns over.

Bring the tin to a boil on top of the hob, then cover with foil and put in the oven to cook for 30 mins. Serve with German mustard.

3 comments:

  1. Plain steamed pierogis can be kind of bland. We always made them by boiling/steaming them first, then sauteing in butter w/a sliced onion. Really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you! I had some left over in the packet so I froze them, so i'll try that the next time I have them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another nice way to cook sauerkraut is to rinse, put wine in as you've done, and add cubed apple. I've cooked a pork loin over sauerkraut this way in a crock-pot (slow cooker). The apple should be a tart cooking apple. Just prepare the sauerkraut and put it in the crock-pot, add the apple, put the pork (or sausage) on top, start it on low and go do something else for 8 hours. Easy and tasty.

    And yes, plain perogis can be bland. We boil them and then saute them in butter to get a nice crust on them. And it makes a difference what kind of perogis you have. Our favorites are filled with farmers cheese.

    ReplyDelete