Saturday 14 September 2013

Daring Cooks September 2013: Courgette Ricotta Gnocchi

Todd, who is The Daring Kitchen’s AWESOME webmaster and an amazing cook, is our September Daring Cooks’ host! Todd challenged us to make light and fluffy potato Gnocchi and encouraged us to flavor the lil pillows of goodness and go wild with a sauce to top them with!

So apparently I can't read! One of the mandatory items was using potato, except I missed that bit and because I had so many courgettes growing in the garden I used them instead. I haven't made gnocchi since I went on a pasta making course 3 or 4 years ago and I'm really pleased that this challenge got me making it again. My Mum made the monkfish in a creamy sauce and I'm not sure what went into it but it was delicious!
















The gnocchi were also really yummy and the recipe yielded far more than expected so I have lots of leftovers in my freezer. So much so that I had them again with cherry tomato sauce.
















Courgette Ricotta Gnocchi (adapted from Closet Cooking)
(Serves 4-6)

1 large courgette, grated
1 tbsp salt
handful loosely packed basil, sliced
zest 1/2 lemon
250g ricotta
2 egg yolks
30g parmesan, grated
1/4 teaspoon pepper
125g 00 flour
Mix the courgette and salt and let it drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Place in tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
















Mix the courgette, basil, lemon, ricotta, egg, cheese and pepper and then mix in enough flour to form a dough that is not too sticky to work with.
















Divide the dough, roll into 1 inch thick strings, slice into 1 inch pieces and roll over gnocchi board or fork using enough flour so that the dough does not stick to everything.


Cook the gnocchi in boiling water until it floats, remove and enjoy in your favourite sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your resipe - combination of parmesan and ricotta should add awesome taste to neutral but juicy zucchinis! It's healthier than potato gnocchi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! Love the flavor combination, true!
    Congrats on completing the challenge and wish could taste some of this now too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as Part of The Daring Kitchen Cooks Challenge Sept 2013

    ReplyDelete