Friday 12 February 2010

Lentil, Bulgar Wheat and Spinach Soup

I did manage to make one meal from scratch last week, Lentil, Bulgar Wheat and Spinach Soup from my Lebanese Cookbook. I have had a real hankering for Lebanese/Middle Eastern food recently and I found small taster packets of bulgar week in the supermarket. I have only had bulgar wheat once before and really didn't like it, but I thought I'd try it again and in this soup it was really tasty.



The original recipe called for water rather than veg stock, and didn't have any spice in it, but I added some cumin, and it really was delicious. I'm going to try making falafel with some bulgar wheat in them and also some tabbouleh, with the rest of the bulgar wheat.

Lentil, Bulgar Wheat and Spinach Soup (adapted from Australian Women's Weekly Lebanese Cooking)
(Serves 4)

2 litres vegetable stock
200g brown lentils
160g bulgar wheat
60ml olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
350g spinach, shredded finely

Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a large saucepan and cook the lentils, uncovered, until tender. Add the bulgar wheat, cover and simmer the mixture for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan, cook the onion and garlic, stirring until lightly browned, add the cumin and stir. Add the spinach, cover and remove from the heat.

Just before serving, add spinach and onion mixture; stir over a low heat until heated through. Serve topped with yoghurt, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment