Friday 11 March 2016

Foodies Read 2016: Rosemary and Crime by Gail Oust

I love a good culinary mystery from Buttercream Bump Off to White House Mysteries, I'm slowly making my way through some of the series that are produced mostly in the States. I have a huge stack of them to read so maybe doing this will make me read more of them!

This is the first in a new series - The Spice Shop Mysteries - by Gail Oust.














This one wasn't the best I've read, the main character owns a spice shop and sleuths out the murderer of a local chef, after she is first a suspect and then cleared of his murder. Some of it doesn't ring true but I liked the depictions of the South and it was at least fairly fast paced. About half way through the book the hunky local vet invites her over for dinner and makes chicken tandoori using a garam masala that she blends for him in her shop, so that's what I decided to make.
















Tandoori Chicken (from Good Food Magazine October 2011)
(Serves 4)

juice 1 lemon
2 tsp paprika
8 skinless chicken thighs
vegetable oil, for brushing

For the marinade
150ml Greek yogurt
large piece ginger, grated
2 garlic clove, crushed
¾ tsp garam masala
¾ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric

Mix the lemon juice with the paprika in a large shallow dish. Slash each chicken thigh three times, then turn them in the juice and set aside for 10 mins.

Mix all of the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken. Give everything a good mix, then cover and chill for at least 1 hr. This can be done up to a day in advance.

Heat the grill. Lift the chicken pieces onto a grill rack. Grill for 8 mins on each side or until lightly charred and completely cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. Well your chicken sounds wonderful even if the book wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hunky local vet" makes me laugh. I'm a vet and most of the male vets I know aren't really that hunky. :(

    ReplyDelete