Wednesday 29 January 2014

Summer Pudding

Not only is this blog a collection of things that I cook, I'm also trying to collect and keep some of the recipes that my Mum makes and that I remember from childhood, or things that she cooks that I love. This is one of them, she has been making Summer Pudding for as long as I can remember and I love it! Sometimes she makes a large one and sometimes several little individual ones. This recipe is very forgiving and she says that you just use as much bread and fruit to fit the size of your bowl, which is why the ingredients are in punnet size rather than weight. She usually uses a small Pyrex bowl. For an exact recipe Delia's is pretty good





















Summer Pudding

Sliced bread
Punnet raspberries
Punnet black currant
Punnet red currants
Sugar to taste (I use approx 1 to 2 tbsp)

Separate the red and black currants from their stalks. Place the fruit and sugar over low heat in a large saucepan for 5 to 6 mins until the juice begins to run, add more liquid if required.

Line a basin/Pyrex bowl with slices of bread overlapping to fill holes. Put some of liquid over the bread making sure it soaks all the bread.

Pour in the fruit retaining some of the liquid, cover the top of basin with bread and pour over the remaining juice. Put into the fridge to chill for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment