Tuesday 17 November 2009

Chicken Breast in a Bag with Cannellini Beans, Leeks, Cream and Majoram

I was looking for something to do with a pot of double cream. When I went shopping I added it to my list, so I must have had a recipe in mind, but when I got home I could not remember what on earth I wanted it for. So I looked through my cook books, and came up with this Chicken Breast in a Bag recipe from Happy Days with the Naked Chef.



I was a little confused by the recipe, it says "place in your bag with the creamy sauce", I'm not sure whether it means mix the ingredients for the sauce together and then add them to the bag, or just add the ingredients to the bag. I did the latter and the sauce split, so clearly I did the wrong thing! It was also a little bland for me, I served it with parsnip mash.

Chicken Breast in a Bag with Cannellini Beans, Leeks, Cream and Marjoram (adapted from Happy Days with the Naked Chef - Jamie Oliver)
(Serves 2)

2 chicken breasts
1 leek, chopped
400g tin of cannellini beans, drains and washed
1 clove of garlic, peeled and sliced
1 small handful of fresh marjoram or oregano, leaves picked
1 small glass of white wine
140ml double cream
salt and pepper

Using wide tin-foil, make your bag by placing 2 pieces on top of each other, folding in three sides and leaving 1 side open.

Preheat the oven to 220C. Put the leeks into a pan and cook in boiling water for 2 mins just to soften. Drain and mix in a bowl with all the other ingredients, including the chicken, mushing a handful of the cannellini beans to a pulp in your hands.

Season well, then place in your bag with the creamy sauce, making sure you don't pierce the foil. Close up the final edge, making sure the bag is tightly sealed and secure on all sides, carefully slide it onto a baking tray. Place in the middle of the oven for 25 mins.

Remove from the oven, place the bag on a big plate,

3 comments:

  1. I have cooked this JO recipe quite a few times. I don't bother with the bag, just use a casserole dish, and use chicken stock instead of white wine to avoid curdling. Oh, and I always add a good portion of spinach (thawed from frozen) to give it a bit more contrast (taste & visually).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's 200gm frozen spinach :-)

    ReplyDelete