Wednesday 24 February 2016

Treacle Tart

I made a treacle tart. It's a very old English pudding and I knew that my next door neighbour loves them. So to say thank you for all the things she does for me I made her one. This was a bit different from the ones I've tried before as the breadcrumbs were coarser but I really liked it, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.





















Treacle Tart (from Jackson's Champion Bread)
(Serves 6-8)

For the pastry
120g plain flour
60g butter or margarine
30g caster sugar
1 medium egg

For the filling
4 slices bread
300g golden syrup
zest and juice 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 190°C.

For the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, stir in the caster sugar then using your fingertips rub in the butter until it forms the consistency of breadcrumbs, then mix in the egg, and squash the dough into a ball. Place onto a floured board and roll the pastry out then line an 20cm flan dish.

Roughly cut the bread slices into 4 and place into a food processor fitted with chopping blade. Chop into breadcrumbs – they can be as coarse or fine however you like them.

Place the syrup and lemon zest into a mixing bowl then fold in the breadcrumbs. Spread the mixture over the pastry base. Bake for about 25 - 30 mins until golden on top.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely - I adore treacle tart. And, if you're a fan of salted caramel, a good pinch of salt in the filling is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete