Tuesday 19 March 2013

Vegetarian Week

There has been a bit of a hiatus of blogging because it didn't seem to work very well last week due to some issues with the computers at work and also I am having some pretty rough side effects from a new medication I'm trying and the thought of cooking and eating made me feel very nauseous. I also can't stand the thought of chickpeas/lentils/brown rice etc, so I'm a bit limited. I'm also not very well prepared. I go on holiday next Sunday so I'm using up the food in the house rather than buying new stuff. I do have rather a lot of veg that needs using though!

Nonetheless I am still carrying on with Vegetarian Week. I actually started on Saturday morning, so this is Day 4 and it's fine, I didn't think it would be that much of a struggle but I don't think I would go vegetarian all the time. I like my meat and fish too much and the variety that that brings to my diet. So on with what I have had so far, this is going be an all writing post as I have pretty much forgotten to take any photos!

Saturday
Breakfast: Kiwi Fruit and Cheese
Lunch: Sainsbury's Macaroni Cheese, Salad with Vinagrette
Dinner: Paneer Wrap from Indigo, Westfield Stratford

Sunday
Breakfast: Poached Egg on Toast, Lemon Yoghurt
Lunch: Avocado with Marie Rose Sauce, Sweet Potato and Spinach Bake, Salad with Vinagrette
Dinner: Takeaway and Sainsbury's Curry - Vegetable Korai, Saag Aloo, Rice, Naan and Onion Bhaji

Monday
Breakfast: Kiwi Fruit and Cheese
Lunch: Hummus and Lettuce Pitta, Crisps, Grapes
Dinner: Curry at Sagar


What I have found so far is that it's actually not that easy to find something I fancy. We struggled on Saturday in Westfield to find something  that I wanted to eat. Many of the places to eat did not serve any vegetarian food or I was limited to tofu which I can't stand. The paneer wrap was a hasty compromise. However Indian food does seem more equipped for vegetarians, hence why I have eaten it three times!! There will be less curry I promise for the rest of the week.

Sagar was pretty good. I shared the thali with a friend and as usual some of the side dishes were way hotter than the curry we had ordered but overall it was nice. My friend commented that the vegetables don't absorb the curry flavours as well as meat and I agree with her. I think a chicken curry is definitely much better flavour wise and the meat is tender. With vegetables most of what I have eaten seems to have had the life boiled out of it, although the food at Sagar was better.

My sister is also doing this with me although I think she is only doing 5 days rather than a whole week. She works away from home during the week staying in hotels and eating out in restaurants or having room service. She is cataloguing what her options are on the menu or in the shop and what she is eating. She started yesterday.

She went to Costa for lunch and her options were:
Cheese and Mushroom Toastie – which she had
Goat's Cheese and Mediterranean Veg Sandwich
Egg Sandwich
For dinner she had room service at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and her options were:
Risotto with Mushrooms and Asparagus - which she had
Pasta Arrabiata
Pizza Margharita
Veg Curry

Not a bad selection really. Although most of the dinners are fairly tomatoey and to be fair a bit dull!

No comments:

Post a Comment