Saturday 24 July 2010

Smudge the Cat and Rice, Black Bean and Avocado Salad

I finally got to bring Smudge home from Wood Green Animal Shelter. She has been totally entertaining since I got her home, exploring every inch of my flat including the bath,


chasing after flies and watching me eating dinner, which apparently was much more exciting than hers! She also has a couple of catnip mice which she seems to love and been really affectionate climbing on my knee and butting her head against my hand for strokes. After such a busy day she's now having a nap on one of the chairs in the living room.


I am so happy to have her home :)

A few weeks ago I got 5 avocados for £1 from the local market and I tried out this rice, black beans and avocado salad. It was incredibly easy to make and really delicious.



Rice, Black Bean and Avocado Salad (adapted from Good Food Magazine July 2009)
(Serves 4)

100g watercress
200g cooked basmati rice
1 x 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, peeled, stoned and quartered
1 tsp ground cumin
olive oil
2 limes, juiced and zested
1 tsp tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

Put the rice, avocado, watercress and beans in a bowl and combine.

Mix the cumin, 1 tbsp oil, lime juice and zest and hot sauce and season. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment