Wednesday 12 January 2011

Braised Cod with Butter Beans and Mint

I made this such a long time ago, that I can't really remember anything about it! My Mum brought me back lots of fish from a little shop on the seaside in Northumberland and this was what I made with one of the cod fillets. It includes beans which I'm still trying to eat more of, and it had the most wonderful fragrant broth that I tipped it all into the dish and used extra bread to mop up. I used sourdough bread as the piece underneath as that's what I had and that worked really well too.



Braised Cod with Butter Beans and Mint (adapted from Good Food Magazine April 2007)
(Serves 4)

4 cod fillets, skin on
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch spring onions
large pinch saffron strands
2 garlic cloves, chopped
400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
600ml fresh fish stock
small handful mint leaves, chopped

TO SERVE
8 thick slices baguettes, toasted

Heat oven to 180C. Check the cod for bones and remove if necessary. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the spring onions, saffron and garlic, then cook over a low heat for 1-2 mins until soft.

Add the butter beans and stock, then bring to the boil and season. Nestle the cod, skin-side up, into the butter beans, then cover and cook in the oven for 10 mins, or until the cod is just done. Lift from the oven and check the seasoning. Add the mint just before serving.

To serve, put 2 slices of toasted baguette in a bowl, top with butter beans and cod (pulling away the skin if you want) then spoon the cooking juices around the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment