Sunday 1 August 2010

Tuna Burgers

I am still trying to use up the tins of tuna I bought months ago! I'm really not a big fan of tinned tuna, but thought I'd give it one more go, so I bought 4 tins on offer in the supermarket and am slowly getting through them. The two recipes I've tried so far haven't reignited my love of tuna, in fact I haven't even bothered to post them here, but this one was different.



These tuna burgers were delicious, I think the addition of the apple really helped to dilute the weird tinned tuna flavour and the addition of the mustard on the bun was really good. I made four in total and froze the other three and I am looking forward to eating them already!

Tuna Burgers (adapted from http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/)
(Served 4)

340g tinned tuna
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and grated
2 eggs
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
50g dried breadcrumbs
4 medium burger buns
4 tsp Dijon mustard

Mix the burger ingredients together. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes.

Spray a frying pan with the cooking spray and heat over a low-medium heat.

Form the tuna mixture into 4 patties. Cook until crispy on one side then flip and cook until crispy on the other side.

Serve on the buns with cucumber and Dijon mustard.

3 comments:

  1. Those burgers sound great! I would never have thought of using apple with tuna, might have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about canned tuna is that you can always keep a can sitting in your cupboard. It's always there for you when you need a quick meal. These burgers seem like a great quick meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes a difference what kind of canned tuna you use. In the US, the most common is tuna canned in (generic) oil. But if you use albacore tuna canned in water or olive oil, it's much better. I do a quick meal of tuna and olive tapenade over pasta. I make the tapenade ahead by coarsely chopping olives (which I can buy already pitted) in a food processor, adding capers to taste and enough olive oil to make it the consistency of chutney. It keeps in the refrigerator for months. When you need a fast meal, cook the pasta, warm up the flaked tuna in some olive oil, then spoon in the tapenade to taste. When the pasta is cooked and drained, add the tuna/tapenade mixture and fold it gently into the pasta. It's quick, cheap, and tasty. And much healthier than a fast foot burger and fries.

    ReplyDelete